Thursday, September 8, 2011

Choosing courses

Today I had the first on-campus face-to-face  meeting with my supervisor Professor Darrell Long. In his nice office he invited me for a cup of espresso, and even though I picked the mild flavor, it was still too strong for me (I'm a frequent coffee drinker back in my country but I rarely drink espresso). The caffeine has a strange effect on my heart, muscle and brain.

Then we talked about my courses for the first quarter. He gave me a very useful estimation and I documented here:
  • Each 5 credit course = about 15 hours study a week (include pre-reading, class and after class assignment works)
  • Each 2 or 3 credit course = about 8 hours study a week (ditto)
Therefore if you want to maintain around 40 hours study time a week you should know how much courses you should pick for a term.

Here's my initial plan for my first term (with credits):
  • (3) CMPS 200: Research and Teaching in Computer Science and Engineering (09/22/11 - 12/02/11, Tu 04:00PM-05:45PM, Kresge Clrm 327, same as CMPE 200, thanks Yali!)
  • (5) CMPS 201: Analysis of Algorithms
  • (2) CMPS 280S: Seminar on Computer Systems
  • (5) CMPS 221: Advanced Operating Systems
  • (5) CMPS 290S: Advanced Topics in Computer Systems (Ethan Miller, 09/20/2011 - 12/02/2011, TuTh 12:00PM - 1:45PM, J Baskin Engr 169. NOTE: Begins at 9/20, not 9/22!)
CMPS 200 is a must do for all new graduate students in the first year. However when I tried to add this course into my curriculum at Sep. 3rd I found that all its 30 seats have been taken, although there are still nearly three weeks before the first lecture. I consulted my advisor about this and he told me I can walk in at the first lecture and register with the lecturer and it will be just fine.

CMPS 201 is also an essential course that a new graduate student should take.

CMPS 280S is the group seminar for our storage system research group so that's a must have.

Now for the three courses above I roughly need to work 8 + 15 + 8 = 31 hours per week. So I think I should only be able to take another one 5-credit course at most. I have to make a choice between CMPS 221 and 290S. Personally I think I have a strong OS background so I might not need to take 221. But my professor said why not try the first class of both courses before making the final decision? I think it's a good idea so that's what I will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment